Turkey with Apple and Walnut Stuffing
Enjoy this classic Christmas dish with a twist
- Serves 15
- Print Recipe
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 2 Tbsp thyme
- 5 good pork sausages, grilled, skins removed
- 1 cup each: lightly toasted
- chopped walnuts, white bread cubes or cooked rice
- pinch salt, pepper & nutmeg
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4kg-5kg turkey, defrosted
- 6-8 rashers streaky bacon
- Sauté the onion and celery in oil, until softened. Add the apple.
- Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the thyme. Cut the sausages into 2cm chunks. Combine with the onion mixture, walnuts, bread or rice, seasonings and egg.
- Remove the turkey giblets. Wipe inside and out with a paper towel. Spoon stuffing into the neck and body cavities. Truss or tie to keep a good shape.
- Place breast-side up in an oiled roasting pan. Cover the breast with bacon. Add a cup of water to the pan. Lightly cover turkey with foil or an oven bag.
- Roast according to packet instructions, usually about 3¼ - 3½ hours. Excellent served with roasted or new potatoes, minted peas, asparagus and gravy. Serves about 15.
* Dice the turkey and add to risotto.
* Spread split baps with cranberry sauce, top with turkey slices and salad. Sandwich together.
* Mince the turkey. Combine with gravy and cranberry sauce, place in a baking dish, top with mashed potato = Turkey Shepherds' Pie.
* Dice or mince leftover turkey and top a pizza base with cranberry sauce, turkey and a little cheese, then bake.
* Cranberry Sauce: Simmer frozen cranberries in a little water or orange juice until cooked and thicken naturally. Serve cold.
* Summer Salsa: Combine 2 diced peaches and nectarines with 2-3 tablespoons lime juice, 1/4 cup chopped coriander or mint, a pinch of sugar and a dash of Tabasco Sauce.
* Prunes in Bacon: Wrap pitted prunes in strips of bacon. Thread on skewers. Grill until bacon is crisp. The prunes can be first stuffed with pickled pink ginger. Or button mushrooms can be wrapped in bacon and grilled.
* Bread Sauce: Stud 2 small onions with whole cloves. Place in a saucepan with a bay lef, 8 black pepperconrs and 2 ½ cups milk. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and infuse for 2 hours. Remove onions and bay leaf. Stir in 5 cups fresh white breadcrumbs. Bring to a simmer. Add 50g butter and salt and pepper to taste.
* apricot & Kumara Bake: Peel, quarter and boil 599g kumara until just tender. Slice into a greased baking dish. Drain 400g can apricots in juice. Chop and place over kumara. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons each: lemon juice, brown sugar. Top with 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 25g chopped butter. Bake at 180oC for 30 minutes. Serves 4-6.
Liked this recipe? rate and share it