Ham Glazed with Mango & Maple Syrup
Add a bit of flare to your ham. Don't forget to check out ham carving instructions on our website as well.
4.5kg cooked ham, bone in or similar
½ cup whole cloves
Glaze: ½ cup each: puréed mango, pure maple syrup
2 tsp finely grated root ginger
finely grated rind 1 lemon, 1 lime
2 Tbsp lime juice
½ tsp ground coriander
Carefully run your fingers under the skin of the ham and lift it away. Using the point of a sharp knife, cut parallel lines about 1.5 cm apart diagonally across the fat on top of the ham. Turn the ham. Cut parallel lines in the opposite direction to produce a diamond effect. Stud the diamonds with whole cloves. Place the ham in a roasting pan.
Combine ingredients for the glaze. Mix well. Gently brush a little over the ham.
To glaze the ham and serve cold, bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 35-40 minutes.
Cool, cover loosely with foil. Refrigerate until served.
To glaze and serve hot, bake in pre-heated oven at 160°C, allowing 20 minutes per kilogram. Baste occasionally.
Hints & Tips
* Slice, place on toasted ciabatta and top with Eggs Benedict.
* Dice and add to a frittata.
* Mince or dice and combine with a tomato-based pasta sauce for a filling or topping for lasagne or other pasta.
* Barbecue thick slices of ham and serve on grilled pineapple slices.
* Serve the ham with 2-3 different mustards plus a selection of pickles.
* Mustard Sauce: Combine Dijon-style mustard with pineapple juice, warm through and serve.
* Horseradish Sauce: Combine horseradish cream or wasabi paste with a little sour cream.
* Fried Apples: Wash and slice 4-5 apples. Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Melt 50g butter. Add the apples and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg to taste. Stir-fry until apples are soft.
* Christmas Chutney: Place 200g dried apricots, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, 10 black pepperconrs, 6 whole cloves, 2 Tbsp grated root giner, 3 Tbsp mustard seeds and 2 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer on medium-low heat. Poach for 20 minutes. Stir then stand for 2 hours. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. Cool. Stand for 48 hours before use. Store in covered container in refrigerator.
Liked this recipe? rate and share it