Vegetarian Sausage Rolls
Parsley, basil and pumpkin give some extra freshness to this tasty snack
- Serves 6
- 50 mins to prepare
- 25 mins to cook
- Print Recipe
- 500g peeled and seeded pumpkin
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup each: cooked long-grain rice, finely grated tasty cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1½ sheets ready rolled savoury short pastry
- Milk or beaten egg to glaze
- Steam or microwave the pumpkin, until cooked. It should be very dry. Mash to make 1 cup of pumpkin.
- Place in a bowl and combine with the breadcrumbs, rice, cheese, parsley, egg and seasonings. Mix well. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the pastry sheets in half. Divide the pumpkin mixture into thirds. Roll each third into a sausage about the length of the pastry.
- Place each sausage on a long side of the pastry. Brush the other edge with milk or egg. Roll up and seal the edges. Cut in half. Place on the baking tray.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden.
To Freeze: If using for pronto lunch box meals, cool before storing in an airtight container in the freezer.
Liked this recipe? rate and share it